When someone visits a new country or a new city, there are so many things to do and see. Although it might not be practically possible to see all that a new place has to offer in one visit, most people would make it a point to visit the popular museums in the place. Do you know why? The museum is that one place that holds and preserves the history and culture of the place. A visit to the city museum will open a window to help you take a quick glance at the importance and significance of the city.
When we go into a museum, we can see an old and new collection of items beautifully arranged, displayed and labeled. Do you have any idea how much work and effort goes into maintaining a museum like how you see it on the front?
There is a lot of hard work going on at the backend, and so many employees work together to ensure that the museum collections are so well displayed. The Museum Collections Specialist is one of the most important professionals who is responsible for the proper management and functioning of a museum.
The museum collection specialist works in coordination with the Chief Registrar and Associate Registrar to help maintain and manage the digital collection activities. He should also be able to assist the contract photographers in photographing their collection objects, processing as well as editing the images and related metadata.
They are responsible for maintaining the quality and ensure that the digital assets are properly organized. Some of the duties and responsibilities of Museum Collections
Specialists are as follows:
- They are responsible for acquiring collections objects and managing them properly
- They create exhibition schedule and also provides his supervision for production
- Their duties include preparing loan requests, producing exhibition labels, corresponding with artists and lender
- They prepare as well as maintains library collection files
- They maintain and monitor the building safety for maximum care and preservation of the collections
- They maintain and also give timely updates of collection database
- They respond to public and internal inquiries related to the collection, artists, exhibitions, acquisitions, and other curatorial matters.
- They give advice, provides reports and prepares meetings of the Collections Committee
- They manage the requests for rights and reproduction
- They ensure the proper storage and handling of the collections
Most of the large museums use museum collections management system such as Eloquent Museum software to maintain their collections and a Museum Collections Specialist is trained to use the software to assist in his job. The museum collection management software comes with useful features such as the creation of a virtual online museum, easy location of artifacts, easy to track the movement of items and find their exact current location, proper management of insurance and valuation.