Though there is much discussion and research being done to find one, there is currently no existing cure for the disease. However, medication and treatment can control the disease and enable a patient to live a healthy and long life. The HIV virus targets and damages the immune system of an individual.
Over the last few years, many patients have turned to crowdfunding India platforms like Impact Guru to afford their treatment and medication. Patients’ families, friends and loved ones write an emotional appeal and begin accepting small contributions from a large number of donors. They share the fundraiser actively on social media platforms like Facebook and Whatsapp to help spread the word.
Key facts about HIV
- HIV or the human immunodeficiency virus is the virus that causes the condition called AIDS, or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome.
- It is transmitted through blood, semen, vaginal and rectal fluids and breast milk.
- It does NOT spread through air, water or non-sexual contact.
- AIDS is a lifelong condition and cannot be cured. It can, however, be suppressed.
- A person can carry HIV without getting AIDS.
It can start with fever and chills and lead to pneumonia, tuberculosis, fungal infection in the mouth or throat, brain infection, intestinal infection and even cancers like lymphoma and Kaposi’s sarcoma. The shortened life expectancy doesn’t directly come with the virus itself; it comes from all the symptoms and diseases that arise as a result of AIDS.
Treatment begins with heavy doses of medication a few times a week, for HIV patients. Many patients need to take different combinations of drugs as the virus may develop resistance. This medication will be taken for as long as the patient lives, pushing him into deep financial constraints. As the average Indian struggles to put three meals on their table, this additional cost may prove to be an impossible ask, forcing them to forgo treatment.
Crowdfunding for treatment
Crowdfunding India platforms like Impact Guru initially rose to aid nonprofits in their journey to make their projects against poverty, malnutrition and other social issues a reality. Campaigns run by patients and their families to help afford treatment raise over 50% of funds raised in India through crowdfunding platforms. Indians have given (or raised) crores of rupees to their friends, family, colleagues and often even strangers in need of healthcare.
While some of the most commonly crowdfunded conditions are cancer and organ failure, crowdfunding is a great choice for the patient looking for a risk-free, convenient funding solution.
Benefits of crowdfunding
- Raise funds in no time – patients have been known to raise lakhs of rupees in days or weeks.
- Be free of the pressure of payback. Your donors contributed to make your life easier and did not expect anything in return.
- Start a fundraiser for free (on select crowdfunding India platforms like Impact Guru)
- Enjoy the convenience of raising money right from home – the whole process is online!